The International Federation of Inspection Agencies is looking for a new Director General in Brussels
(Status 20 January 2016)
This is a critical appointment for the sector, as the Director General is both responsible for the leadership and management of IFIA, and is also a key representative for IFIA in its interaction with external stakeholders and regulators. Reporting to the President of the IFIA Council, the incumbent will manage a small team and be based in Brussels. He/she will be in charge of delivering the objectives of the IFIA Council and be a key player in helping promote the growing global TIC industry.The International Federation of Inspection Agencies, the international trade federation representing over 50 of the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification companies, is currently looking for a new Director General to manage and lead the organization. IFIA members have over 290,000 employees worldwide. Since its foundation in 1982, IFIA has taken a prominent role in the development of best practices for the industry as well as serving as an advocate with international organisations and national governments. IFIA has played an important role in garnering market intelligence about the development of new regulatory initiatives globally and influencing them to be workable and beneficial to all parties.
Key responsibilities include:
- In consultation with the IFIA Council, to develop a vision for the Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC) industry globally
- Based on this vision, to drive and communicate externally an agreed strategy to promote IFIA’s objectives and use this platform to promote the services of the individual members of the organisation
- To attract new members into the organisation and thereby increase the influence of IFIA, but also to ensure that members meet the membership requirements, which include having an effective system of corporate governance.
- To identify threats to the TIC industry and get agreement within IFIA on appropriate defensive measures, and manage their implementation.
- To develop co-operation with organisations with similar objectives to those of IFIA and seek to work together to promote them, and in particular with CEOC, the Europe focussed sister trade federation
- To ensure the financial viability of IFIA
Desired Skills and Experience
The new Director General must be able to establish his or her credibility both as a catalyst for policy-making with senior representatives of member companies, including at the CEO level, but also be able to act as a representative of the industry in a variety of national and international fora.
He/she must have the strategic, diplomatic and leadership skills to find common ground amongst the membership base across a very wide variety of technical issues, without necessarily being an expert in any one field, and then to act as an effective advocate in pursuing IFIA’s agenda.
The Council places weight on the following attributes:
- Leadership in a multicultural and international environment
- Diplomatic skills and strength to promote the interests of the industry, to form good working relationship with members and external stakeholders
- High level of committee chairmanship and ability to synthesise arguments and find acceptable compromises
- Ability to combine strategy and communication with attention to detail
- Fluency in spoken and written English; another language an advantage
- Knowledge of the TIC industry an advantage, but, if not, high level experience in government, trade association, or other policy making sector may be helpful
- Good communication skills
This is an exciting opportunity that will be rewarded with a competitive salary package.
To apply for this role please send your CV to email@example.com. All applications will be dealt with in a discreet manner.