CEO for an International Trade Association
Experience: Minimum 10 to 15 years’ experience
Education: Master degree
Sector: Industry – Association
On behalf of an international trade association active in the meetings industry, Interel Association Management is looking to recruit a Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
A visionary, innovative, dynamic, results-oriented professional with an entrepreneurial spirit, the chosen candidate will be an experienced senior executive with a proven track record in a leadership role in association management and/or the global meetings industry.
The CEO will focus on leading the organisation into its next major development phase, putting the association in a better position to meet changing member expectations, to scale up its programme offerings and to interact and partner with other industry organisations, with a view to enhance value, access and efficiency for the membership.
Responsible for the overall leadership and acting as the key representative of the association towards third parties, the CEO translates the association vision into strategy, leads on business development, advocacy and outreach, and oversees the activities and management of the association.
Reporting to the international board of the association, the CEO will work closely with the association’s secretariat staff based in Brussels, Belgium.
1) Role & responsibilities
Representation, outreach and advocacy
- Grow stakeholder engagement: build and maintain trust relations with partners, sponsors, government, broader events industry, related associations, etc.;
- Promote the association’s priorities to key decision-makers and develop collaborations as appropriate;
- Actively represent the organisation at meetings and congresses and serve as the association’s primary spokesperson;
- Enhance the association’s position, reach and image.
Strategic and member development
- Enhance the business model and develop and implement growth strategies;
- Attract and win new members as part of active business development;
- Identify new projects and tools to benefit members and define and activate member benefits to ensure retention.
- Lead the association in a way that supports and guides the mission as defined by the board;
- Work closely with the board, communicating effectively and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the board to function properly and to take informed decisions.
Operations and financial performance
- Oversee the activities and management of the association, ensuring that desired results, consistent with the overall strategy and mission, are produced;
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organisation;
- Engage in fundraising and develop new revenue streams;
- Collaborate closely with the secretariat staff (association management service provider).
Experience and knowledge
- Proven experience in successfully leading an international organisation;
- Proven track-record in working with association leadership;
- High level strategic thinking and planning, ability to envision and convey the organisation’s future and to effectively communicate its mission to different stakeholders;
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results, including an active fundraising experience;
- Solid organisational abilities, including planning, delegating, programme development and task facilitation;
- Great track record of building trusted, effective relationships and networks with stakeholders in the public and private sector;
- Good knowledge of the global meetings environment and of convention center operations;
- Experience in working with virtual teams (association leadership and staff).
Personal skills and qualifications
- Entrepreneurial, innovative and strategic mindset;
- Excellent organisational, leadership, decision-making and management skills;
- Ability to communicate and present effectively to different audiences from industry, associations and government;
- Strong interpersonal, relationship-building and cultural competences;
- Appreciation and desire to work across cultures and countries;
- High self-motivation, target-driven and results-focused individual;
- University level education in a relevant field (international relations, law, business, economics, etc.);
- Fluency in English; any other languages are an asset.
This is a challenging and exciting senior role, offered to a self-employed individual as freelance contractor. The position requires a substantial amount of international travel. Preferably, the candidate is based in Europe. The start date should be in early 2020.
- Deadline for applications: 27 November 2019;
- First interview screening: on a rolling basis until 29 November 2019 (this interview will be with the recruiter over the phone/online);
- Interviews with the association board and recruiters: planned between 9 and 20 December 2019 (this interview will be online, but candidates located in Brussels may be invited to take it in-person).
Please send your application documents (motivation letter, CV of max. 4 pages, incl. references) including an indication of your expectations concerning remuneration as well as your earliest possible start date via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.